Saturday, May 29, 2010

Interview with Cast of tick, tick Boom...

I was honored to sit down with cast members and benefit organizers Michael Indeglio and Fred Ross about tick, tick Boom playing the Shimberg Playhouse in May...

Michael Indeglio
(c/o www.mindeglio.com)

Fred Ross
onstageTampa: Tell me about how tick, tick Boom came about at the Straz Center for the America Cancer Society Benefit.
Michael Indeglio: It’s kind of a cool story really. Fred and I were doing Godspell at the Jaeb Theater and we had talked about tick, tick Boom for a while now because we’re both approaching 30 very quickly. It’s a piece about New York and we’re both trying to find a career there. David Jenkins, the artistic director of Jobsite Theater had started a project called Job-Side, which is where they help little projects get together. It just so happens that this May is a nine year anniversary of my dad passing away. Fred was sharing a story about his dad is currently going through cancer. We decided that we were going to do something about it, and here we are.
Fred Ross: The idea had been passed around and I was driving home the Moffitt Cancer Center and I called him and I was like, I’ve got an idea. We said, why don’t we do tick, tick Boom and raise money for cancer. It sucks not having anything to do, besides going to school and becoming an oncologist and trying to help. It was awesome that this all came together, and like Mike said, we weren’t going to get anything. Then we had this really awesome outcry of people…
Michael Indeglio: You could literally make a movie out of the situation. We had this idea. Alison was in this show with us (Godspell), and so it was pretty easy casting. Then you think of all the other things that go into a musical, the space, the musicians. We are not wealthy individuals, we couldn’t just pay everybody what they wanted, especially as a benefit you don’t want to spend any money. The people, the band members who agreed to give us their time; from them to Karla Hartley who’s directed twenty shows now, I don’t know how she had the time to help us out. All the way down to random strangers we have met in the past few weeks who decided to run newspapers articles for us, those who spread the news on face book. The love we have gotten and the inspiration to fight for the American Cancer Society against Cancer has moved me as an actor, as a human, as a friend. I’ve fallen in love with these people Fred and Alison more than I thought I could. It’s been awesome.

onstageTampa: Of all the shows you could have picked, why tick, tick Boom?
Michael Indeglio: It makes it easier because it is autobiographical for us too. We are at that age now where you have to shit or get off the pot. This is not an easy business to be in, we would agree. You need your friends, you need support to deal with life and art and that’s what this show’s about. We thought, hell, let’s explore what we’re going through while we’re helping other people. That’s the best I can say.

onstageTampa: Is there a song or part in the show that you forward to performing every night?
Fred Ross: For me it’s the whole thing. It’s hard to really pinpoint. I was talking to Mike tonight before we came to meet you that in a long time it’s been one of the only projects where as an actor I feel like the show starts and the next ninety minutes literally become a blur. Because for me, it’s so real and so happening. While my character plays someone who is sick and I’m not, I can transcend that into what I feel like watching my dad going through everything. It was easy for me to portray that. I love doing everything, there’s not one part. It’s the first time, in a long time that I’ve looked forward to coming to do a show.
Michael Indeglio: For me too, Godspell was a different experience, a very long one. It’s very easy for your job to become work. Even when it’s a job that a lot of people would love to have. And here comes along a show when I was questioning a lot of things artistically and it’s answered the question for me loud and clear. I love to do this, we can move people doing this. There’s a reason why the arts exist, musical theatre exists and we’re getting to experience this . I don’t think it comes along often in your career that you get to have this experience that we’re having.

onstageTampa: People come to see tick, tick Boom knowing that it’s written by Jonathan Larson, the creator of RENT and everything behind that. Seeing that it’s not RENT and not what people expect, what do you hope will take away from the show?
Michael Indeglio: If you’re a RENT fan, it’s a little insight to the guy who wrote it. There’s some really sad parts at the end of the show when he’s talking about success he might have and in the back of your mind you know this guy dies in a couple years, it really escalates the point that life is short and we have to enjoy it. Or at least make something of it. I think what people fell in love with with RENT aside from rock music is the heart of the show. How the characters care about each other and you form a personal relationship with the material. I truly believe the same exists in this piece if it’s done with heart which I hope we bring to it. I would tell people if you’re a fan of Jonathan Larson or rock music at all, it doesn’t really matter. If you’ve ever experienced loss, friendship, love, anything. And even if you hate the show, you would have still done something to help people. It’s a win-win.

onstageTampa: So what's next for Fred Ross and Michael Indeglio?
Fred Ross: I go to New york on Monday.
Michael Indeglio: Begin the next chapter of the book.
Fred Ross: Hit the audition circuit again and see. I've already started to get some calls for TV stuff starting the day I get back. The coolest thing about the world is you never know what's going to happen but you're always creating what you want.
Michael Indeglio: It's really a job in which finding your next job is part of the job. It's time to go home and this show in the memory banks and let it inspire us to the next.

onstageTampa: Any thanks or plugs?
Fred Ross: We thank you and plug you (I blushed a little).
Michael Indeglio: Thank you for spreading the word a little bit. This has never been about us. If you're reading this well after our show has closed, check out the American Cancer Society or Moffitt Cancer Center or anything and help fight the fight.

Thanks again to Michael Indeglio and Fred Ross for their time and words. The tick, tick Boom benefit was a great success given it's short notice and limited run. For more information about helping cancer research click here.

1 comment:

  1. Saw the show Friday and loved it. I'm inspired by Mike and Fred's passion for the cause and the art, and by the show's point. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Followers