Sunday, May 23, 2010

Interview from Hair...

I had a chance to sit down with Brooke Bradley of American Stage's In The Park production of Hair. Brooke and I had a wonderful conversation about the in's and out's of performing such a well known show and relating to a show set forty plus years ago.



onstageTampa: So Brooke, how did you get attached to the show?
Brooke Bradley: I am in a dance company based out of the University of South Florida called Moving Current Dance Collective under the direction of Erin Cardinal, Cynthia Hennessey and Kristin O'Neal. Eric Davis, the director of Hair contacted Moving Current to conjure some choreography for the show...and as it came closer to show time we were asked if we wanted to be a part of the actual show. So, I accepted and knew I had to make some sacrifices and have an absolute blast doing it.

onstageTampa: Had you ever seen Hair before?
Brooke Bradley: I had not. I haven't even seen the movie. I was only familiar with a couple songs and very vague on the subject matter.

onstageTampa: You didn't see the movie, did you do anything special to prepare for the performance...?
Brooke Bradley: Personally, I didn't do anything to prepare myself, but in the first week of rehearsals with American Stage they handed out a packet that had all sorts of [researched material] relevant to lines or names or drugs and anything of that nature we that didn't kind of know what it was really about so as actors we were more educated in terms of our intention when delivering lines or anything like that.

onstageTampa: As you know Hair is a very time-centric piece. It's set in the 60's in the Vietnam era. What do you think it is about the show that keeps directors choosing it and audiences coming to see it?
Brooke Bradley: From being a performer in it, it's a fun show to do. In terms of music, it's a very emotional being inside of it with the draft and all that. As an audience member, watching some of the actors go through their lines. Being as young as I am, I can't connect to it as well as someone who lived during that time and I believe that some of the subject is relevant to what is going on now with our lifetime. I talked to my mom after she saw the show and she said that even though we were young and we didn't live during this time it was still believable. I think it's easy to know about by the age of the cast. And directors keep coming back to it because it's a relatable show. I think everyone can find something in the show they can relate to.

onstageTampa: Is there a song or a piece in the performance that you look forward to performing every night?
Brooke Bradley: Yes and no. There is a specific time in the show where the dreaded nude scene comes along. We pair off before we go off stage to unclothe ourselves and we have a long stare down with our partner and it's fun to challenge myself to keep a straight face with my partner. Going out on stage covering myself with my hand and a poster is quite liberating.

onstageTampa: What do you hope someone our age [25] would take away from this show? You said we can't relate to it as much, but what do you hope someone could take away from it, even though we can't connect with it as much as older audiences.
Brooke Bradley: I think there's little nuggets of history that can definitely be picked up on. If you listen close enough there's somethings that you don't know about that...you might want to research for yourself. I know that now that I've been a part of this show, it's going to change my life forever. Even my sense of style has changed since I've had to be this hippie persona. I'm not a big history person so it's kind of hard to put myself in that position. I think you can definitely learn something new about that time period and apply to what's going on now. And it raises some questions in yourself like, what can I do now to be proactive about the war in Afghanistan and all of this that is going on.

onstageTampa: So what's next for Brooke Bradley?
Brooke Bradley: After the show is over, I am a part of a concert that Moving Current is putting on called New Grounds. I'm dancing a piece choreographed by Brie Hinman and that is the following weekend after Hair closes. After that Moving Current is headed down to Miami and sharing a concert.

onstageTampa: Lastly, any thanks or plugs?
Brooke Bradley: Thanks to Cindy for accepting the project. Thanks to Eric Davis for his knowledge of theatre. My parents of course. And Gator's Dockside for allowing me to keep my job.

Many thanks to Brooke for her time and also to the cast of Hair for an incredible run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers