Monday, March 15, 2010

Anatomy of a Community Musical...

Buddy, The Buddy Holly Story
Directed by Shannon Willis Scruggs
Town Theatre, Columbia, SC
March 17-21, 2010



From March 4-22, 2009, my life was turned upside down. I was cast in a community musical production of Buddy, the Buddy Holly Story at Town Theatre in Columbia, SC. Being a musician most of my life, I never gave theatre a chance due to some teachers in my life who frowned over the drama department. Being the golden musical child I was, I followed blindly. I took a chance. I had never performed in front of anyone without an instrument before. I have played in a group in front of a sold out Raymond James Stadium and didn't even blink. I lost sleep over the thought of talking in front of 330 people. I slowly learned the ropes and became part of one of Town Theatre's most successful shows to date. In late 2009, I was offered to chance to rejoin the cast in a limited one week revival. In this every-so-often opportunity, I opted to keep a keen, Anderson Cooper-esque record of the trip. I just hope my journalistic integrity isn't compromised by my earnest immersion back into the acting/performing lifestyle. Enjoy.

Saturday March 13, 2010
Woke up and made the obligatory drive to my place of work. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love what I do, but I was dreading having to pull a solid six hours with an impending seven hour drive thereafter. The three o'clock hour couldn't come soon enough. With nothing but the open road and time as my co-pilot, I embarked on the arduous trek. Getting off to a slow start through the tourist-laden Orlando highway, I made it to I-95 North on the east coast of Florida with a "Carolina or Bust" mantra I've only felt one other time in my life. Helping the drive was the omnipresent collection of music.
Along for the ride and in order mind you:

Weezer - The Blue Album
Emery - In Shallow Seas We Sail
Dane Cook - Retaliation
Underoath - Define the Great Line
RENT Broadway Cast recording (no road trip complete without it)
Acceptance - Phantoms
Yellowcard - Paper Walls

Hoping and praying I could make it to Columbia by the time I planned seemed to be slipping ever so slightly with every mile driven. Though the Georgia stretch, I struggled for clarity thanks to precipitation, at night! And lets not forget the Orlando traffic jam from a few hours earlier. Only forty-five minutes past schedule, an extra 512 miles, and almost eight hours of driving, I made it.
Greeted by my bubbly roommate, I walked into a lap of luxury that is now my home for the next seven days. After settling in and making the hotel feel more like home, I crashed after what can only be described as exhaustive.

Sunday March 14, 2010
Another day, waking up at the normal time as always. Or so I thought it was. Daylight savings snuck in under the radar, I hope the farmers are happy. After some breakfast and yoga, I made my way to Town Theatre to set up my drums and get started putting together a full on musical in three days. Costuming, lighting, microphones and sound checks galore, it was an exhausting day to say the least.



Right around 2pm, our director called places and we did a full run of the show. No warm up, no pow-wow talking about what has to happen, just a full run right off the cuff. There were times sitting at the drum set not even knowing the music seconds before we were supposed to play. It was quite the learning curve.
All in all, six hours at the theatre took all that I had not to break down, but how can I complain about a day like this?

March 15, 2010
A quasi off day in Downtown Columbia. Waking up to breakfast at sunrise, what to do with a day waiting for that 7pm call time? A nice run along the river at the aptly named Riverfront Park downtown. After a little lunch and The Devil Wears Prada, the waiting for the 7pm call time begins...
For lack of a better word, rough would be the way I would explain the run tonight. Trouble getting the voice over and lighting cues down seemed to happen. It's funny how we're two days away from opening night and we're not happy with the show. La Bamba was another rough patch, but I'm sure today will bring better rehearsals. When the time comes, the curtain is down, the murmur of the audience grows and the crew calls places, something will click and we'll kick it into gear.

March 16, 2010
Lounging around another day leading up to the penultimate rehearsal before our limited engagement takes the stage. After another bountiful breakfast, I set out around Columbia to take some artsy photos that can't be taken in Tampa.

The slow afternoon ended with a trip down dementia lane starring Vince Vaughn. Gus Van Sant's terrifying adaptation of Psycho.

It's strange to see Vince Vaughn in a non-comedic role. But that's what actors do. They take on characters outside of themselves.

The Calm Before the Storm.
The time has come. Our show is going on. It's time to cross our fingers, make a wish, hope for divine intervention, whatever it is we do, it's showtime.

March 17, 2010
With the ever rising prevalence of sports metaphors in our daily lexicon, it's Game day! Every performer, or athlete for the sake of metaphor, has their warm up routine. Mine? Nothing. I learned at a very young age that consistency creates results. I usually put the idea of hundreds of audience member scrutinizing my every word and move out of my head. Just relax and enjoy the afternoon. The day is upon us. A full year since we last did this. Let make it the best show we can.


And scene.
What a great night of performing. Given our Buddy Holly show is a small limited engagement, the word of mouth advertising we're hoping on is kind of late to the party. But, tonight's crowd was one of those quality over quantity evenings that remind you why we do what we do. The show went very well and ended with uproarious applause and accolades. It's always nice to end the evening over a drink and great company. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

March 18, 2010

Radio? We don't need a radio...
Well, whether we needed it or not, Charlie and I made a quick appearance on two radio stations this morning. If you were lucky enough to catch us, we played "Everyday" on Magic 98.5 WOMG, and NewsTalk 1320 WIS both in Columbia, SC.

Thanks to the crew on both stations for having us on. Hopefully, it'll help sell out the end of our run. As for the remainder of the day? I guess I'll join the conversation and fill out my bracket for the tournament.
Not to give too much away from behind the scenes, but I think it's safe to say Thursday's first act was less that stellar. Missed lines and blown cues were disheartening, but we made it through. Kudos to Charlie Duncan, our Buddy Holly, for holding the show together. I'd like to look back and say we could have made it through the show otherwise, but I'd be lying. Knowing we had a paying audience and only one more act to make their evening worthwhile, we worked out a game plan during the intermission and collectively decided to go back out their with guns blazing. Our most overtly comedic scene in act two was met with great laughter, so we knew we could pull out the remainder of the show. We ended the show in style as we always do. The musicians and I looked at each other and knew we pull it out. Three more shows to go...

March 19, 2010
Friday. Three more shows to go. Hoping to pack out each of the remaining shows and leave each one of the audience members thoroughly enjoying themselves.
What a Show! The Friday night crowd was treated to our best show yet. Very happy to have my parents make the 500 mile drive up to Columbia for a show. It's nice to have someone in the audience who you really hope enjoys the show more than anyone else.
Back on the road again. Driving up to Charlotte, NC tonight to pick up someone special at the airport. It's a bummer having to drive into another state to pick someone up from the airport, but all's well that ends well.

March 20, 2010
A day begins with so much promise.

Sleeping in with the blackout blinds, we had a solid seven hours to kill before heading to the theatre for another performance. That was, until I turned the key in the Element to no avail. Oh well, nothing like some car troubles to complete a road trip. Sorry Riverbanks Zoo, maybe next time.
Hey! Was that a crowd tonight or what! We didn't even get through the first song without having to pause our dialogue for applause. Let's hope Sunday is even better. It felt as if we couldn't do wrong. Even when we flub a line, somehow we pushed right through it and the audience loved it even more. It's too bad it's only a five show run. I could used to this.

March 21, 2010

The three C's for performing, and life for that matter: Cool, Calm and Collected. Today has brought the end of the run for Buddy, the Buddy Holly Story at Town Theatre in Columbia, SC. Thinking this could be my last time on the Town Theatre stage, I made sure to take some shots of the place for nostalgia, and blogging.






As I remember Sunday crowds being at Town Theatre, usually packed out, but not the most vocal. During the last scene of the show, I did my best to take in what I could from the stage. This is what I live for. Can't wait to get into it back in Tampa.

Lights out on the Buddy Holly Musical. Checked out of the hotel, packed up the drums in the Element, turned in my costumes, shook hands and said my goodbyes. On the road back to Tampa, and the grind. Thanks for letting me share something dear to my heart with you. Just remember it's never too late to try something new. I did. And now it may just be the missing piece I've been waiting for. What will yours be?

Don't forget to follow us on twitter on the latest and greatest from the Tampa Bay performing arts community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers